Thursday, April 14, 2011

Memoir installment #2

I haven't put in pictures to my memoir -- not sure that I will. Maybe in the back or something. So here is a picture that goes along with the story. And I'm sure my brother Paul will mention that my brothers did most of the digging -- and I mostly did the playing. :)

Okay, so here is the second installment of my memoir (a link to the pdf so you don't have to click on the pages individually -- that was annoying). This installment includes the first installment (retitled Preface), a new prologue, and the first and second chapter. I have like a title page thing for the chapters with very crude drawings (I don't mean gross) that I'm not sure works, but this is obviously all a rough draft. I liked the idea of having drawings that looked like I drew them as a kid or something.

I would have waited to put the second chapter on, but Chapter 1 really flows into Chapter 2, so I decided to add it. Chapter 2 is a little depressing, and I was unsure if I wanted to have it in there at all, but there it is. I hope it works.


3 comments:

llcall said...

It's taken me a while to find time to comment -- you won't even believe that I still am not done with that freaking paper...bane of my life ;) But I hope you know that I am so glad you posted this! I just know this will be a great treasure for your kids! They will probably think you're weird, but in a cool way ;)

I'm really impressed with how you were able to find the meaning in your toilet dreams (that's a funny sounding sentence) -- it took me going to therapy to figure out what all my dreams meant ;) But I really believe what my very first therapist told me -- I'm sure I won't say it as eloquently, but dreams are the manifestations of thoughts and emotions that we won't express in our real life. All our thoughts and emotions come out somehow, verbally, through actions, or in dreams. I was plagued with VERY violent dreams from a young age (and I still have violent dreams now on occasion) but they really subsided a lot when I learned to express my feelings more, I'm sure you wouldn't know it now, but I let myself get walked over in relationships in my younger years...I guess I'm making up for lost time now :)

Jenn said...

Thanks for your comment, Larson! I appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

Your nightmares sound really horrible! I'm glad that they have subsided some now, though.

I would have responded earlier, but I was waiting until I found out the name of some CDs you might like, called "Awaken Your Sleeping Genius." I haven't personally listened to it, but my sister has, and it was through things that she told me/asked me that I figured out what my dreams meant. Maybe it would help?

Angie said...

Jenn,

I love reading your writing! You are so gifted in being able to paint a picture and convey your feelings. Thank you for posting this. It was so fun to read about your life (since, in part, it is mine, too). I laughed out loud when I read your description of mom "not gossiping" as one of the things she was busy "doing." I love it! I liked reading about your dreams. So scary!! I can't wait for the next installment.

I was wrong about the title of the CD set. It is: Your Sleeping Genius: Harnessing the Hidden Power of Your Dreams by Gayle Delaney. You can get it at the library (at least here) or on Amazon. I love it. I learned a lot. It isn't metaphysical, just practical methods for understanding the way your mind chooses certain symbols to represent things in your life and making connections.

Only the dreamer can figure it out because the symbols have personal relevance--no one else can interpret for you, like a lot of people advertise. The author has a list of questions to ask yourself or someone else to make connections. It has been very insightful and helpful in dealing with my children's nightmares and dreams Jason and I have. It is amazing what you can discover about yourself...