Thursday, May 31, 2007

Something's Different: Adventures in Remodeling



Andrew and I started remodeling the house when I got pregnant (the nesting instinct, I think.) Our latest project has been the guest bathroom. What a difference a little paint and new lighting can do! (The finished pic is a stitched picture, so it looks slightly askew. We still need to put the trim on.)

Anyway, it has not been without its challenges and health risks! When I first started on the bathroom, I was hammering a nail a little too close to the mirror. Unfortunately, I smashed the bottom corner of the mirror. When I went to remove the mirror (thinking once I unscrewed it, it would come off), I discovered it was GLUED to the wall. Hmm, I thought to myself, I'll just try to pry it off a little to loosen it. As I was pulling the mirror towards me with a chisel, it shattered into a thousand pieces and impaled my wrist! I didn't feel anything until I noticed gushing blood everywhere. I was more annoyed than anything.

Later, after Andrew installed the dimmer switch--he noticed something he needed to fix. He'd already turned the power back on, but started positioning the switch in another way and shocked himself!

Later that night, he was cutting a hole in our living room ceiling to install some track lights and the blade of the knife he was using snapped off and came flying at me! Minutes later, the electric drill fell off the ladder and BZZZZZZ.

We're usually not quite so clumsy--it was past one in the morning and we were both tired and hurrying.

Don't worry--we always work after Kate's asleep, so she doesn't get caught in the crossfire.

3 comments:

Nick Ericksen said...

I like the light fixture and the color of the base cabinet. Nice additions.

Emily John said...

Should you be using elcetric tools? I'm frightened. You braver that me to remodel. When we painted our home in Payson I swore never to do it again.

mistyp said...

Sounds like quite the adventures but the end product looks great!!! You are brave to tackle such a project. I can't wait until my husband is done with school so we can get a house of our own. I'm tired of living in apartments that I can't paint/ change to my liking. :)