Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pink or blue?



As I've been waiting to find out the gender of our baby (since I found I was pregnant), I have frequently asked for Kate's opinion on the matter. Early on, she would guess both boy and girl, equally. Now, here's what the conversation goes like--

Me: "Kate, do you think the baby in my tummy is a boy or a girl?"

Kate: "Girl!"

Me: "Really? What should we name the baby if it's a girl?"

Kate is contemplative, but I suggest a name before she gets too fixated on something like "Princess" or "Cinderella." She accepts my suggestion with excitement, and I move on.

Me: "What if it's a boy? What should we name the baby if it's a boy?"

Kate, without hesitation: "GIRL!"

Me: "We should name the boy 'girl'?"

Kate nods enthusiastically.

Other times I'll say, "What if it's a boy in my tummy?" And she'll respond emphatically, "No! The baby in your tummy is a girl. The baby in my tummy is a boy." My guess is she understands she doesn't really have a baby in her tummy, and that's why it can afford to be a boy.

She often will get a sad face, and I'll ask her what the matter is. She'll say, "I don't feel so good. I have a baby in my tummy. The doctor's got to get it OUT."

Poor girl, I know she's tired of hearing that I'm feeling sick or tired because of the baby. She is so excited to see the baby in my tummy tomorrow at the ultrasound. I hope she won't be too disappointed if it's a boy! And I hope she won't call him "girl" his whole life.

Andrew really would like a boy, and I would, too. But since Kate has become obsessed with it being a girl, for her sake I hope it is. Of course, we would be happy with either, we would just like to be guaranteed at least one of each. I will let you know TOMORROW.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oooh, I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

checked facebook about 30 times looking for the news! can't wait to see if kate has special intuition!