Saturday, October 25, 2008

I need a potty break!!

Phew! This has been a long week in the potty! Kate loves to read on the potty (as you can see), and also loves to count her books--over and over again with pretend numbers. She insists on having several with her at all times. I have a video of her "counting" I might post later.

Anyway, there have been many successes and many accidents. I have a large pile of laundry that smells like urine. Luckily, there's nothing that smells like poo. After a couple days, I stopped putting her on the potty so much (she was starting to get tired of it) and just started asking her if she had to go--trying to get her to initiate it. Sometimes she would nod and run to the potty, but mostly she would just shake her head and say, "No no potty!"--inevitably followed a few minutes later by a tinkle tinkle on the carpet. There's only so many of those that I could take, and I finally put her in a pull-up.

I've decided that she nor I are ready to potty train just yet (we gave it our best!). Since I've put her back in her diapers today, she has asked twice to go potty on her own. She totally gets it, but I think I will just let her take her time and build up to being completely diaper/pull-up free. Maybe it won't be long (I hope!).

In this video, she is saying some letters but is kind of silly about it--she's usually much more
studious! :)

3 comments:

Erica said...

Oh the joys of potty training! I remember going through the exact same experiences not that long ago. She'll get it. At least she is still asking to use the potty.

Candis Ellis said...

I don't remember if I mentioned this before to you or not...but James WOULD NOT finish up the 'training' until I made him a little chart to track his progress. I taped pennies in lines of 10 and he got to take one every time he went. At the end, he got to use his money to buy a t-rex. He loved it--and that was the only way to motivate him...anyway, just a though :) She is adorable, as always, by the way.

Mary said...

Hey, it's me. I had a HORRIBLE (still traumatized, don't even tell me about your child who potty trained themselves at 18 mos., okay?!) time with potty training with Ella which surprised me because she was so agreeable in every other way and I waited until she was showing signs, etc. So the next time I read "Potty Training in Less than a Day" and it was amazing even with kids who weren't quite as agreeable in every other way. I used the book with three kids and I picked up a used copy the other day for when Phin is ready. Highly recommended by me. I should put it on Goodreads...