Thursday, February 5, 2009

For medicinal purposes only.

After Kate goes potty, she always asks for whatever delicious treat she knows (or hopes) is in the house and readily available for her consumption (as her reward). She usually goes through a list: "Chocolate?" Raised eyebrows, head nod. No chocolate. "Snack?" Hopeful look. No snacks. "Cracker?" Head tilt, smile. No crackers. Scraping the barrel--"Banana?" No bananas. "Bread?" Bread is generally not included in the list, but if there's nothing else, she goes for whatever she can.

So the other night, after she went potty, I expected the usual list to come out. I was dreading it, though, because we didn't have anything that she would want. But she surprised me with her request. The very first item on her list was, "Medicine?" Raised eyebrows, head nod.

That made me chuckle for quite a while. She had been sick that week and had one too many doses of medicine, I guess. (And for those of you wondering--no, I didn't give her medicine for her treat.) :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

let's face it, kate will eventually eat medicine like candy (orange triaminic, cherry cough drops), but i'm glad you put that day off as long as possible. :)

and does this mean, that you're doing the potty training thing again?

Jenn said...

I've only been doing it at her bathtime. It's just easy cause she already has her diaper off. It's a pain to take her diaper on and off during the day (pull ups are more expensive), so I am waiting for a while before I go full force with it again.

Unknown said...

Dear Andrew.I (from Belgium) met you on a sunset spot in the Alabama Hills by the Arch in June 2008. I look foreword to see your work from the Arch with the Mount Whitney in the background. I love your blog and great photos.
My email : freddy.taeleman@telenet.be

Douglas Lai said...

Too funny. My boys also take medicine like it is candy.
Erica

stephasauri said...

How cute! Kate is such an honest little sweetheart!

mistyp said...

How funny! Got to love the things they say and think up!

Mary said...

My kids like medicine, too -- and vitamins. There are some kids who throw a fit, so that is nice that she likes it when she needs it. Very cute story!