Wednesday, January 19, 2011

installment 1 -- a prologue to my memoir (read my post below first)


Okay, now before you start reading...let me say a few things. This is the prologue I've written for my memoir I'm working on (that I mentioned in my New Year's post). It is, I think, overly dramatic (and maybe taking myself too seriously). But sometimes that's how I roll, so I don't know what to do about that. I was feeling overly dramatic when I wrote it. Keep in mind this has not gone through much revising (and I don't really know if it will end up working as part of the whole -- since the whole has not been written yet). The second part of the prologue, I hope, does not sound controversial to any of you. I was not trying to be.

I'm also not sure if I will write the past in present tense or not -- I haven't so far.

I've only written about one chapter of the memoir -- and it's completely out of chronological order, so I'm not sure when or how I'll get to the beginning of the story. I just wrote what I felt like writing at the time. So, with Larson's suggestion, I am posting this on here, but I don't know if/when I'll be posting more. And if I do, it likely won't be in order of how it would actually appear in the book.

So...with that -- here's what I have so far. You'll have to click on the images of the pages -- you should be able to click on it again to enlarge it to a comfortable reading size. (Okay, this is kind of scary putting this out there...)


4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Love it! Write more! Write more! I want to read more. I love your writing. Remember when we used to be on the phone and we would become "inspired" and write our stories! HAHA, I with I could find them! I think I have them in a tote somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Man, you really know how to deliver on demand! Didn't I just request this YESTERDAY?? :) No seriously, it is not easy to put yourself out there like that, so props to you. And like Sabrina, I loved it. In fact, I got goosebumps and choked up. Now Neal would say that I ALWAYS get choked up about EVERYTHING, which may be true. But I don't always get GOOSEBUMPS! You are talented; and I'll be anxiously awaiting installment 2!!

P.S. This post is joining the elite club of those I forward to Neal -- he's in a Creative Nonfiction class right now, so I think he'll enjoy this too.

Jenn said...

Thanks so much for your comments, guys! If it had gone a day or more with no comments, I would have felt really weird. So thanks for eliminating the weirdness in my life. :)

I appreciate what you both had to say -- you made me laugh. Lindsay, I totally choke up over everything, too. But I'm glad you got the goosebumps -- maybe more solid proof that you liked it? :) And I made a forward to Neal! I love it.

Not sure when installment 2 will come ... haven't written it yet -- so we will see. I'm working on it!

Laura said...

I love it! It makes me want to write my own story, but it wouldn't sound as good. Keep writing!