Sunday, July 11, 2010

A name and a blessing


The only picture we could get with Kate -- the whole new Morrill fam.

With my parents
With Andrew's dad
Andrew's grandparents

And part of the Ericksen family -- Paul, I wish you could have been there!

We ended up blessing Christian on July 4th. He wasn't even two weeks old, but since my parents were in town and wouldn't be by the next fast Sunday, we decided to go ahead. We didn't bless Kate until she was like 3 or 4 months old. She barely fit in the blessing dress. Christian was SWIMMING in his little outfit. I can't believe we didn't get a single picture of him in his outfit without the blanket. He was asleep for the whole event -- pretty much the entire day. There was tons of commotion at our house after the blessing, but Christian didn't make a peep.

Andrew gave him a great blessing. We named him Christian after Andrew's middle name. It's also a family name on my side. Andrew and I have always wanted to name our first son Christian. We discussed some other names, but never very seriously -- it's always been Christian. We batted around several middle names, but weren't set on anything. There is a song by Marc Ford called Elijah that is about his baby son. Anyway, I really liked the song and liked the name, and I think that's what got me thinking about it originally. Much later when we were considering getting pregnant again, I had a strong impression that our next child would be a boy and that we should name him Christian Elijah (I think it was almost a year later before we actually got pregnant). It was such a powerful feeling that I wrote it down in my journal -- you know it must be strong if I dusted off the journal for the bi-annual entry. :) Elijah means "Jehovah is my God," and I love what is written about Elijah in the Bible dictionary. Hope he likes his name as much as we do.

3 comments:

paul said...

I wish I'd been there too! Such cute pics of my new nephew!

Anonymous said...

That is cool that you got such a strong impression about his name. I kept hoping that would happen to me too! I'm glad you had such a nice blessing day!

Amber said...

He's so cute! It was fun to see pics of your fam again. I have great memories of you guys!