Monday, July 26, 2010

Thoughts on newborns...and some pics

In case anyone is worried -- I didn't put him to sleep on his tummy...I was trying to give him tummy time, but he just laid there like this looking absolutely adorable instead of getting exercise. And then he did drift off to sleep. He looked so sweet, it was a shame to turn him over and make him start crying.



I've been trying to get better at taking pictures lately. It's been frustrating to take pictures of Christian that come out looking nothing like him -- to me, anyway (but I'm probably a pretty good judge since I stare at his face all day long). I realize the first three look very similar, but they are slightly different and I couldn't decide which I liked best. Those pictures are the closest to what he looks like. So, there they are. And, of course, I love taking pics of Kate. She is very happy to sit for me. :) And it's something I can do while I'm holding Christian on my lap.

It's funny to me that I'm posting way more now than I did while I was pregnant. It was dang uncomfortable to sit upright. Ahh, yes...as trying as the newborn stage is for me, thank goodness I am not pregnant anymore!

I know some people LOVE newborns. I love my newborn, of course, but I am really not a baby person. I don't like that their heads flop around; I don't like constantly worrying about them dying -- either in their sleep or through some accident/fault of my own; I really don't like changing diapers every five seconds (sometimes multiple times before I pick them up off the changing table); I don't like being spit up on or pooped/peed on; I'm not a fan of breastfeeding (there I said it); I don't like deciding between eating, showering, or sleeping; I don't like how slippery they are when wet; I don't like sitting in church just to say I went, but hearing absolutely nothing; I don't like the freaky noises they make when they're sleeping that make me jump out of bed at night; I don't like not being able to communicate (not knowing why they are crying or how to help); and, of course, I don't care for getting only snippets of sleep in a night -- which could be the reason I'm feeling the need to complain. 'Sigh.'

I DO love how they smell -- which is really remarkable. The same fluids that come out of them and land on the both of us somehow make me smell rank, but they continue smelling sweet. I do love how soft their heads are; I love that they stay wherever you put them; I love how warm and cozy they are to cuddle; I love watching their expressions change in their sleep; I love those squishy cheeks; I love trying to figure out what they're actually going to look like; I love to stare at them and wonder who in the world is in that tiny body and imagine what they are going to be like as they grow and develop.

I do love those kids of mine.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Love your post! I am having some of the same feelings about newborns right now. (Especially the breastfeeding...it is killing me this time, for some reason.) Your kids are so cute!

Laura said...

Love your post! I am having some of the same feelings about newborns right now. (Especially the breastfeeding...it is killing me this time, for some reason.) Your kids are so cute!

Melyssa said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! This post is a sweet reminder of early motherhood and the fleeting moments of infancy. It IS kind of a love/hate relationship. Of course you love the little person, but a lot of the work is hard! Darling photos of Kate and Christian!