Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Selling Blues

As soon as I got home from work yesterday, Andrew told me that someone was coming to see the house at 5pm (we signed the papers with a realtor yesterday afternoon). Our house was nowhere near ready to be shown and Andrew was on his way out of town to go on a Scout camping trip. So I spent four hours trying to get the place ready. While Kate napped, I was weeding like mad (my fingernails are caked in dirt), pouring mulch over the flower beds, watering the lawn, shoveling loose concrete, and sweating like a banshee. When Kate woke up, she was in an abnormally bad mood (she has a cold and has gotten me sick as well) and would wail at any sign that I was putting her down. I tried to do as much as I could holding her (but for anyone who's tried that, it doesn't work very well). I was running (literally) from room to room with a vacuum, dusting desks, sweeping bathrooms, and scrubbing toilets, while Kate would follow behind crying the whole way. It was awful. She had tears and snot streaming down her face.

I had daydreams of the people making a good offer on the house and making my whole cleaning fury worth it. Five o'clock came and I was finished! It was some sort of miracle. Kate had calmed down now that I could hold her. I just had to wait for the realtor to come, then I could take Kate and go get some dinner.

However, 5 o'clock turned into 5:30. I called the office to make sure I had gotten the message right. It was an outside agent--but she confirmed he was supposed to come at 5pm. Kate and I played on the lawn, we started a movie. By 7pm, I gave up and went to Subway.

Needless to say, I was/am extremely irritated. Couldn't someone at least call? What--I'm just supposed to wait around all day? If this is what is involved in selling a house--it's going to make me insane!!

2 comments:

Emily John said...

Welcome to the world of selling your home. It doesn't get better, but some people will tell you a time and show up way early too. I'm sorry I hope it goes better. I hope Kate feels better too. I hate feeling like you need to be lovin' the squirts but you can't.

mistyp said...

Bummer! We've been sick, too. I can't imagine trying to clean to show your house and take care of a sick kid! At least you got a head start for next time, huh? :)