Friday, April 4, 2008

Minus TWO!

Don't worry--this is not my weight! I'd have to lose a lot more than 50 pounds if that was the case. But this scale's lines look kind of like mine. Hard to read!

I've been working out every day for a week now, and I've lost two pounds! Yay! I've been doing the bike for about an hour a day on a pretty easy setting, which has translated to burning about 400-600 calories a day. Like I said before, I'm eating the same foods, but now I'm just trying to control the portions more, and I've cut out sweets (sigh).

I have felt GREAT--so much energy! Plus, when I stretch afterwards, I can touch my toes with relative ease! It's been a long time since I could do that.

The only trouble is with the scale. I don't know how accurate it is. Before I even get on it, it reads at five pounds! Yesterday when I weighed myself it said I lost four pounds, then an hour later I had only lost one...but I think I've figured out how to get a pretty accurate reading. Not only that, but the little lines representing pounds are so close together, it's hard to read from up high. So, I think the two pounds is about right (it might be 1.5-2). From the first day I started exercising, I have FELT skinnier, but didn't see results on the scale for a little while.

I'm excited, though. It's been a while since I've seen the numbers on the scale go down. So I'm headed in the right direction! Plus, I'm really enjoying the workout, which is the most important thing for me because I want this to be a serious lifestyle change--something that I will be happy to continue. I might have to change it up later for some variety, but so far I love it!

7 comments:

Emily John said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! Keep it up!

paul said...

dont always go by the numbers. When I had been working out a lot my numbers sometimes didn't move but when doing skin fold testing I'd improved. Muscle weighs more than fat, you may be redistributing the weight into lean muscle.

Jenn said...

That's true, Paul. I hope I'm gaining muscle!

paul said...

Yeah, it'd be frustrating sometimes. I was also charting it all in Excel and there'd be a full month where I was really good about exercise, really felt like I was doing good, but the numbers wouldn't show it. My trainer would also do tape measurements at various points... which also can be misleading since fat was going away as muscle was building up from underneath. It was really discouraging sometimes since it felt like I wasn't making any progress. But then my pants started to not fit around my thighs because my leg muscles were growing by an inch in a month, shirts wouldn't fit around my growing shoulders and when I sat down I realized I actually had a butt.

I ended up buying a device that measures body fat percentage electronically (only $30 I think) and that was a much better way to gauge my progress.

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

Way to go Jenn! Kept it up!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You're starting to inspire me! My maternity pants all fall down, but my pre-pregnancy pants still don't fit. Grrr. I'm almost frustrated enough to actually do something about it! Keep up the good work! When the weather is nice, we should get outside and do something together!

llcall said...

nice...you're a true inspiration