Sunday, April 13, 2008

Talks

Andrew and I spoke in church today. We were asked to choose a talk from conference to speak on. I chose Elder Oaks' talk "Testimony" http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-851-10,00.html. Andrew spoke on Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-851-6,00.html. They are both great talks--if you didn't have a chance to hear them, click on the links above. They had me speaking last on the program, which was different than what usually happens. When I was done with mine, I sat down and the bishop rushed over and asked if I could bear my testimony in Cantonese. Not wanting to say no...I said, "Ok..." and headed back to the stand. Boy, I was rustier than I thought! I really wish I had been more prepared for that. I started to bear my testimony about eternal families, but totally forgot how to say it! I stopped half way and tried again. I would've just gone on to something else (who would know, right?), except that there is a family in our ward from Hong Kong--dang it! Andrew was whispering how to say it from behind me on the stand--thankfully--and so I finished. How embarrassing! Afterwards, Brother Ng came up and was nice about my awful Chinese. Later on, a member told us that the bishop was inspired to ask me to do that because there was a Chinese family sitting on the back row. The bishop might have seen them sitting back there. Andrew thinks they are in the ward boundaries, but not members, and come sometimes. That made me feel even worse! I'm doubting they understood a word of it! Oh well. The talks went well, though, and it made us both grateful for the opportunity to speak.

2 comments:

Emily John said...

I think it is aesome that you speak a second language. I hope you and Andrew are teaching Kate, she's at a prime age to learn a language with ease. I had neighbors that spoke both English and Spanish, so when both parents were home they'd only speak Spanish and when it was one parents with the kids they would speak English. Needless to say that by the time thier kids were 3 they spoke both fluently.

mistyp said...

Wow! I would have died on the spot like that! I'm sure you did great though! It's the Spirit that matters anyway...not exactly what you said. ;)