Thursday, November 20, 2008

WOAH...WHAT did she just say??

Kate has a swearing problem. No, she didn't hear me, Andrew, or anyone else for that matter say the words she's saying. And so now you're probably wondering if she didn't hear it or learn it from someone, then how does she know swear words? Good question. She doesn't. It's just an unfortunate case of poor enunciation--I mean, she isn't even two yet after all.

I do yell out a lot--especially when I am cooking. Cooking usually = water boiling over, cutting myself, burning myself, or burning food. So Kate hears a lot of "Oh shoot!" and "Oh CRAP!" and "Oh NUTS!" She's mostly opted to repeat "Oh nuts" which I am happy about. But lately, she has been trying to say "Oh shoot." Only, it doesn't sound like "shoot." When I first heard her say it, I probably looked at her with a bewildered expression for a good five minutes. I realized she did in fact learn that word from me, just not exactly the word that's coming out of her mouth.

As I have mentioned previously, Kate loves animals--and she's learned the names for just about all of them. I didn't realize when I was innocently teaching her the names of animals that this would be a problem. The biggest problem being with the word "frog." Doesn't look like a swear word, does it? Well, when the "r" isn't clearly pronounced, and the "g" sounds more like a "k"--yeah. Andrew heard her say it the other day, and he stopped whatever he was doing and stared. "WHAT did she just say?!"

I covered my face, "FROG."

He shook his head slowly, "That didn't sound like frog."

So, we are working with her on "r" and "g." I can only imagine these words spilling out in nursery--ahhh!

5 comments:

Emily Larkin said...

Look out for fox, that word can be a tough one for kids.

Mark E. said...

LOL!!

That was an entertaining little escape. Heidi had a problem with that as well. However, hers was less commonly encountered. She'd misspeak "perfect" and it came out sounding like "bull sh--". I recorded it and enjoy it to this day. :)

Douglas Lai said...

Very funny. At least it is not a real swearing problem.
Erica

Anonymous said...

...Like the other day when we were all together, and she said "daddy suck" when she was actually holding a sock and saying "daddy, sock..."

Anonymous said...

this just totally cracks me up, jenn!