Friday, November 28, 2008

This picture is of my grandparents after a fishing trip (when they were dating, I believe)--aren't they cute?

Well, I've decided to really put some energy into the oral history editing business. I don't know where it will lead, but I have felt really good about pursuing this course. I felt inspired when I first thought of the business, I loved working on the book, and now that I have a final product to show people--I am ready to go!

So I made a blog for the business-- http://yourstoryyourwords.blogspot.com/. I tried to set it up as much like a website (and not a blog) as I could. Andrew will make me a website eventually, but until then I will refer people to the blog. We are starting out not charging very much just to get some more experience, get a little money flowing, and sort of test the waters--see how much people are willing to pay. I've seen sites where they charge thousands of dollars, but I don't know if people actually pay that...

I've even started networking (I've always been really scared by this concept). Next week I am going to meet with a lady from Salt Lake who runs a successful business of her own doing personal histories. She was very kind, and I think the meeting will be very helpful.

The new blog is still a work in progress, and I am sure I will be changing a lot of the text, but I wanted to get something up because we have had several people express interest since they have seen the Losee book. We even have a meeting set up for this afternoon with a potential client and will hopefully have more in the next couple of weeks!

So if you know anyone who needs to get their personal history done--send them my way! :)

3 comments:

Mary said...

Congratulations on this -- it is a great service to provide for people. I was telling my parents that you should do it for them.

I guess I didn't weigh in enough so she stopped e-mailing me. Can you send me the final results for the biggest loser? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you! we should talk more about this because neal wants to start a similar business but from a film angle.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm excited for you! Your site looks great! Keep us posted on how things go!