Saturday, July 28, 2007

8 Things...


Since I've been tagged, here are 8 things about me (you probably did not want to know). I warn you, I tend to go blank when I have to come up with this kind of stuff. I did the best I could!

1. I don’t like Harry Potter. I’m sorry. I’ve tried to like the book and the movies. It’s just not for me.

2. I’ve had my leg hair lasered off several times. It’s still there and stronger/thicker than ever. It will not be deterred. Along those lines, in fourth grade a boy finally told me and my best friend that we needed to shave our legs. I was mortified and promptly did so. In Hong Kong, a random Chinese girl pet my arm on the subway and told me I was like a monkey. An investigator naired (their version of Nair) my arm hair off during a discussion. She wasn't too serious about the Church, obviously. So, I have excess hair. There. I said it.

3. Andrew and I literally bought our house in the dark. Long story, but the real estate agent left the door open for us, we went there around midnight with a flashlight and decided to buy it the next day (we were on a severe time constraint.) We're not impulsive...

4. I had my period when I was 10. None of my friends even knew what it was yet, so when they invited me to go swimming, I’d have to come up with a lot of excuses why I couldn’t go. It was kind of sad actually. I spent many a day alone…in the fetal position.

5. I was a major tomboy growing up and was dubbed the “Worm Nurse” by my best friend because I scraped a flattened, sun-dried worm off the sidewalk, took it home, put it in a cool whip bowl full of mud and nursed it back to health. There was a huge rainstorm soon after that took my little worm home.

6. I spent the better part of my life in love with Patrick Swayze. One of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do was throw away all my pictures/posters/movies/letters written to, but none from (there was a LOT of stuff) associated with Patrick Swayze and many other celebrity males. I did it before I left on my mission. It was the right thing to do. :)

Sidenote: In high school, my parents drove me out to Lola, Nebraska where Patrick was shooting a movie. When we got near the set we were asked to leave by a security guard. SO close!

7. I can count the number of boys I’ve kissed on two hands. Most of them weren’t worth a pinky toe.

8. Something that drives my husband nuts and used to drive my mom nuts: it takes me a LONG time to set my alarm every night. I’ve always been scared that it won’t go off when I need it to (remind anyone of a Seinfeld?), so I will sit there and carefully push it into a certain groove over and OVER until I am convinced that it is in the right spot and will go off. This may not sound like a big deal to you, but I am really compulsive about it. I’ve worn the little button down to nothing. But I can’t say that I’ve been late to anything because of my alarm!

8 comments:

mistyp said...

Wow! Those are good things! (You know what I mean!) :) You are a wonderful/unique person! What a lucky husband and daughter you have! :)

Emily John said...

Jenn, you know what's sad? I knew about six of those because of a certain mom/aunt relationship. My MTC companion shaved her arms to bond with a companion from Japan. I told her that it'll just come in thicker and darker. She was horrified! The hair issues is hereditary. I have horrible neck hair that goes way down. My husband noticed that on one of our first meetings and later admitted that he wondered if I had a hairy back. So sad!

Anonymous said...

I remember the "Wall of Swayze". Every time I see him on TV I think of you!

Jenn said...

I'm curious, Em, which things didn't you know?

Ahh, the wall of Swayze. Sabrina, you were the first person to ever tell me that he looked like a pig. But sadly, not the last.

Emily John said...

I didn't know Harry Potter, but I know a few people who feel the same. I didn't know about the boys you've kissed,wish I could say the same. I didn't know about the alarm, which surprises me since I lived with you.

Anonymous said...

We are more alike than I knew!!! early periods, tomboy, hairy bodies, etc...

Jenn said...

Patrick Swayze??

Anonymous said...

I think I'm a little old for Patrick, but I did "love" the Monkeys, especially the drummer.