Saturday, July 21, 2007

My Little Helper...?

"I think it goes here, Mommy."

I've been meaning to move Kate's crib level down for a while now. She can get up really high on her knees and could potentially flop over the side of the crib. I thought Andrew and I could get it done really quick before he left to work, so I started unscrewing everything. He had to leave before he could help me, though. So I was left with a dismantled crib and a freaking out baby. Kate has really been moody lately. She used to love playing on the floor alone, but now if I let her down for a second, she starts screaming. I think it's mostly due to her two top teeth coming in. She kind of got like this with her other teeth.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the thing screwed back together and Kate won't play by herself. She kept crawling into my lap and trying to get my attention in every conceivable way. So I would hold her in my lap, while I tried to get the darn thing together. She was ready for a nap, the crib was no where near ready to be slept in, and her pack n play was in the trunk of the car that Andrew was driving.

It didn't look good.

I'd get one part together, then realize the next part didn't fit quite right, so I'd have to undo the other side and start again. Meanwhile, Kate's got her fingers following mine--they were constantly grabbing screws that I was trying to screw. At one point, I could not find a part that I needed and was frantically searching everywhere, when I see little Kate clutching it tightly in her hand.

I got to the final screw and it would NOT match up with the hole at all. I finally just got a hammer and started beating the railing until it fit. And--presto. I got it done and Kate is sleeping peacefully in it. PHEW.

3 comments:

Emily John said...

Little ones are great helpers. At least you got it done!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how things take twice as long when you have a little helper. At least she isn't climbing out of her crib yet.

mistyp said...

It must take Erica four times as long then. :) Glad things worked out for you! I love my little helpers but sometimes refer to them as hinder-ers. :)