Monday, July 30, 2007

#9: Foot in Mouth

Oh NO!! Kate's inherited my foot-in-mouth gene!


I thought of one more thing that DEFINITELY should have been on my list of 8 things (of course now, after I scraped the barrel for my 8 things, I keep thinking of new ones!):

I tend to ALWAYS stick my foot in my mouth. (I'm like you on this one, cuz.) I have an example of this one that has been observed in awe by fellow foot-mouthers. Some of you know this story, others do not. It needs to be revisited from time to time to remind me not to say the first thing that comes to mind!

I was working as a temp during college just before my mission (in Omaha) making ballots for the upcoming election. I started to get to know one girl who worked there. We ran to get lunch together one day and brought it back to work to eat. I asked her where she lived and she mentioned that she lived in the neighborhoods near Burke Highschool. That was the highschool I had graduated from. But I knew she hadn't gone there. I could only think of one thing that I knew about that neighborhood, and so I said it. "Oh! So did you know that guy that went crazy and shot his mom?" I say as I chomp down on my chicken sandwich. I was just trying to make conversation and it had been a big news story a few years back.

Her response: "Um, yeah. That was my brother."

Silence. Our simultaneous gulps of our Wendy's sandwiches filled the otherwise quiet lunch room. Shock, dread, disbelief, self-loathing all rushed through me at that moment. All at once, I notice the visible scars on her neck and arm and remember that the boy's sister (the girl in front of me!) had jumped in between the gunfire and her mother, trying to save her mother. Her mom died. The girl had been hospitalized in intensive care and almost died herself.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I had no--"

"It's ok."

I couldn't think of what to say. It somehow felt wrong to just drop it. Too awkward. I felt terrible. It was just hanging there between us. I began to sweat. The only thing I could think of to say was, "So, how's your brother now?"

After all these years, I can't remember her exact response. He had either tried to kill himself in prison or had succeeded in killing himself. I can't remember now. Either way, it wasn't good. I don't think I've ever felt so awful!

It really was a horrible story. The family had been homeschooled by the mom and the mom had been very strict. I guess it was too much for the son. So sad!

Anyway, that was definitely the worst foot-in-mouth story I've had...though there have been many. But seriously, what are the chances that would be her family??

4 comments:

Emily John said...

Oh no, I'm sorry! How akward would that be? It's one of the worse foot in the mouth stories ever! You win the medal on that one! That can't be hereditary too can it? Jeez!

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one Jenn. After sticking my foot in my mouth one too many times I actually pray each night that I will remember to think before I speak.
Once I met the mother of one of my former students. He was kind of an angry kid and somewhat aggressive because he had been picked on a lot. We got along just fine but he and other kids did not. So what do I say when I meet his mom. Not how's your son or he was a good student. No he was "really angry." Dumb. Now that was awkward. Really I do not try to be mean, but sometimes dumb things just spew out of my mouth.

mistyp said...

True...what are the chances that it would be her brother! I love reading your blog! You post the best things ever! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've retold this story a number of times over the years as the worst foot-in-mouth story ever.

I remember when you came home that night, you felt so bad and were crying as you retold the story.

I had the details wrong; I've been telling it as you working in telemarketing and that after she said she was his sister you just walked away. I'm glad I have the correct version now! :D