Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fourth of July Memories

The fourth of July has turned into one of our favorite holidays. Since we've been married we've always had great July 4ths. One of our all-time favorites (and probably will always be the favorite) was when we were living in San Francisco. We went to Yosemite National Park during the day (bad day to go--it was worse than Disneyland), and then tried to figure out a good place to go that night. We heard about a lake that they were shooting fireworks over and decided to go there. We were late getting to the place and were running around in the dark (we already parked) trying to figure out how to get to the dang lake as we heard the fireworks going off. We finally found a way (through someone's yard) to the lake. We set up by some bushes. As we sat there, we realized we were still on someone's property. We could see them through the bushes, sitting on their dock. We suddenly saw all the signs that said NO TRESPASSING. Uh oh...I started to get kind of nervous. We realized that they would see us for sure when the fireworks were all over and they weren't distracted anymore. We were really close to them.

We whispered to each other that we would make our escape during the finale--they would never see or hear us then. So we waited anxiously for the finale...once it started, Andrew said, "This is it! Go! GO!" We took off running through the trees with the BANG BANG of the fireworks nipping at our heels. I know it sounds dramatic--but at the time it really seemed like someone was shooting at us and we were running for our lives. We ran until we came to a fence. We were surrounded by tall fences and signs that said NO TRESPASSING. I wasn't sure how the heck we had even come in. We frantically scurried around, searching for a way out. Finally, we came to a HUGE drop off. Andrew jumped, but I hesitated. I would, under normal circumstances, NEVER have jumped off--it was really high. But with the BANGS and BOOMS becoming more frequent, I leapt. Sweating, scared, and a little bit impressed that I had just jumped off a cliff, we made it to the street in one piece. Andrew still marvels that I jumped--but hey, we had worked ourselves up into such a fright--I figured it was the only way.

We really didn't even get to enjoy the fireworks that night, but it was definitely a night to remember. We couldn't stop laughing afterwards about how silly we had been.

This year, I don't think we'll be leaping off any cliffs in a dash for our lives--with the stroller and all it may be tough. But, as always, I expect to have a great time tomorrow. Happy 4th!


2 comments:

mistyp said...

That's a good story! I think I would have just turned myself in verses running for my life. :) I'm not very daring though... Hope you have a great day tomorrow! My kids have always been scared of the loud noises that come with fireworks. Maybe they'll surprise me this year and like them. :) Actually if it doesn't stop raining here in TX we won't be seeing any fireworks!

Emily John said...

How funny. I love stories like that! Glad you got away.