Friday, September 19, 2008

I can't believe I haven't killed someone yet.

My new least favorite activity is driving Andrew to school. If I'm not swerving to dodge a maniacal bike rider, then I'm slamming on my brakes for swarming students darting to and fro, or about to lay on my horn for the lady in the SUV in front of me who is NOT moving! I had some serious rage today as I was dropping Andrew off. I was trying to pull through a crosswalk, and one nice girl stopped and waved me through, while a completely oblivious guy plowed ahead. After I dropped Andrew, I drove extremely slowly forward through the masses (it's not really my wish to kill anyone), but one guy had his head down fiddling with his mp3 player and walked straight into the car. Luckily, I had spotted him and wasn't moving. But he looked up at me and totally glared! As if I had the nerve to be driving in the street. It is truly some kind of miracle that there aren't pedestrian deaths by the hundreds every day at BYU.

3 comments:

Douglas Lai said...

I hit a girl on a bike about a month after coming home from my mission. she didn't stop at the stop sign and just went on through. They really have no respect for rules of the road so I hear you. Needless to say I got a ticket and people heckling me - telling the cops to give me a sobriety test. I argued the ticket in court and got it cut in half. I paid $40 dollars. So I guess their lives aren't that valued. Even though they were on a bike it was considered hitting a pedestrian. It was on 8th North at the bottom of the hill. I had just come from the first stop sign so it wasn't like I was going fast at all. Her sweet revenge - she ends up going on a mission to Hong Kong. Glad she never ran into my family.

mistyp said...

I hear you on the crazy BYU students! I saw a girl get hit on a bike one day when we lived down there! I HATE driving in Provo to this day!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Glad you didn't hurt anyone though!) ;)

Mary said...

A pedestrian hit me one day as I was slowly pulling out of a parking lot. He was so mad he hit my window with his hand -- my window! Does that tell you how far I had pulled out? Obviously enough that he could have seen me! That was now almost 20 years ago, but I'm not bitter. Oh, and the crosswalk situation! It is impossible because they just continuously go across it. We have the same problem here at ISU, I just go right after the person in front of me or we could be there all day. Side note -- Charles was hit by a bike on a sidewalk in Japan -- just knocked him right over and the guy didn't even stop. Sorry for the long comment, you hit a nerve, next time I should just send you a letter.