Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Tortured Soul: My High School Days Revisited

Nice roots, eh? I guess I wasn't keeping up on my Sun-In.

I saw Christie's blog today that had this "tag" on it. I love reading about people's past lives (even people I've never met...), so thought maybe I'd share some more about mine--for those of you lucky enough not to have known me in high school. :) I haven't done one of these revealing tags in a while. Warning: This will be LONG and will include many pictures. I made the pics small so that this post wouldn't take over my entire blog, but click on any picture to see a larger version.

I elaborate quite a bit on these questions, so if it's too much for you feel free to skip around. :) If you missed the last tags I did (what--you weren't reading this blog in July 2007?? and if this post somehow isn't long enough) then here are the links 8 Things About Me and #9 and Deja Vu: More about Me.

1. Did you date someone from your High School?
I only dated one guy from my high school--he was one of the very few LDS boys there, and he was 'gasp' a JUNIOR when I was a senior. But he didn't seem like it, so it was okay. :) We dated for five months which was practically an eternity in high school months.




2. What kind of car did you drive?

I had a few...I started out driving my parents Acura Legend, but quickly totaled that one and moved on to a navy blue 1986 Ford Bronco II. I loved that car even though it broke down daily. Finally, my dad said no more repairs (!!) and I got a 1990 Nissan 240SX. That car could fly!

3. What was the most embarrassing moment of High School for you?
High school was one giant embarrassing moment for me. It would be much easier if I could answer what the most non-embarrassing moment was (because there were only a handful of those...).

But, since I have to choose just one, I would have to say it was when I wrote about my first kiss in my creative writing class. It was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE first kiss that seemed only compatible with my life (suffice it to say that it involved lots of burping and slobber--not mine. I did not go out with the guy again, btw). Anyway, my teacher was reading our "essays" to herself one day and could not stop laughing. I knew instantly when the tears began to flow that she was reading mine. I shrank down in my seat, but she came over and told me that I HAD to read it to the entire class the next day. WHAT?? The dreaded class arrived, and she handed me my story. I shook my head at her (think of the girlfriend in Seinfeld refusing the apple pie) and said I'd rather not. She got kind of upset and said that if I wouldn't read it she would just have someone else read it. I just couldn't bring myself to do it--TOTAL MORTIFICATION. So, of course, a cute football player volunteered to read it. G-r-e-a-t. I really can't express the absolute horror I went through as he read; I got a lot of strange side glances from cheerleaders (of course we sat in a big circle so I was clearly visible to the entire class). As he stumbled over certain words, and didn't pause for effect in the right places, I realized I should have just read it myself since I was humiliated/tortured either way.

**Running out of my Junior English class to throw up in the hall would be a close second.**

4. Were you a party animal?

No. I had moments, though. I loved going to concerts. In high school, I loved harder rock and alternative rock (I still listen to alternative stuff). NIN, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots were among some of my favorites back then. And don't forget the angry chick rock--Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, etc.

The above pic is of me--yes--burning my bra. My friend, Sabrina, and I burned pictures of ex-(jerk)boyfriends (I'm pretty sure they were just double prints...) and notes, and why not a bra? It was liberating--even if it was just an old bra I didn't use anymore (and I still had one on...).

5. Were you considered a flirt?
Yikes--no. I usually clammed up around any semi-cute guy.

6. Were you in Band, Orchestra, or Choir?
Nope. I have no musical talent whatsoever.

7. Were you a nerd?
No. I didn't have a lot of good friends at my high school, though. I had one best friend at my school (top pic), Abby, that had been a good friend since 7th grade Human Growth and Development. She is hilarious and I was lucky enough to reconnect with her recently via Facebook. My other two best friends were Sabrina and Tiffany. Sabrina (middle pic), and I grew up together at church. She didn't go to my high school, though. Tiffany (right pic), and I became good friends at church, too, when our ward boundaries were changed. She also did not go to my high school. Sorry for these pics, guys! These are the only ones I could find!


8. Were you on any Varsity teams?
No.

9. Did you ever get suspended/expelled?
No, but I missed a lot of school my senior year and it seems like there was some kind of penalty for that, but I don't remember.

10. Can you still sing the fight song?
Fight song? We had a fight song?

11. Who were your favorite teachers?
Always English teachers--they were always the most passionate and interesting.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?
We didn't have any options--it was just the cafeteria. I sat with friends.

13. What was your school's full name?
Harry A. Burke High School

14. School mascot?
Bulldog. My colors were black and gold from elementary school through high school.

15. Did you go to Homecoming? With whom?
Yes, I went to my senior Homecoming with the aforementioned LDS junior. Homecoming was our first date, actually.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
ROFL. Are you kidding me?? NEVER. I'm just relieved I survived in the first place.

17. What do you remember most about graduation?
I remember walking down the stadium bleachers to "Pomp and Circumstance" REALLY hoping I didn't biff it. I was also elated that the whole high school experience was almost behind me.

18. Where did you go Senior Skip Day?
No idea.

19. Were you in any clubs?
French Club, Quill and Scroll Club (which really seemed like a made up club), Creative Writing Club, and National Honors Society.

20. Have you gained some weight since then?
Currently about 15-20 pounds heavier.

21. Who was your Prom Date?
I didn't go to prom. My LDS boy and I had broken up about a month before prom. Then the next boy I started dating wasn't until a month after prom. Just missed it. Below is Lance--the guy that came after prom. I actually dated him my junior year for a few weeks. He was really cute, I thought, but a real jerk! He swore constantly and was really racist. Oddly enough, he found me again at the end of my senior year. He was very apologetic saying that he had gone through a strange phase (trying to be cool or something)and wasn't like that anymore. He sounded really genuine and so I decided to give him another shot; it was a good decision. He had somehow transformed into a very good person (he was Catholic, by the way). Very obsessed with his car, though...but I let that go. We dated for 7 months (into our first year of college). He was not interested in the LDS faith at all. It was hard because I thought I loved him, but I knew I had to break up with him. Looking back, that was one of the best decisions of my life.

We tried to stay friends, but I started dating a different guy only a couple weeks later and that made him really mad. I always felt bad about that. I sent him a postcard from Hong Kong a couple years later...strange thing to do, I think. I never did hear from him again.

He had not gone to my high school, either. We actually originally met online (gasp!). It was a total blind date, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have another online dating story...but that one is really embarrassing and will have to wait for another day.



22. 10 year Reunion? Are you planning on going?
It happened in August. I was not there.

23. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself?
You're skinny!! Enjoy it while you can!

I hope those of you that read this will do it on your blogs, too! I look forward to reading it!

7 comments:

Candis Ellis said...

I loved loved LOVED this post! It is so fun to see pictures of you in high school! So cute! Your stories are hilarious; I especially love the English paper reading...priceless. I am so glad I get to read your blog, I love it.

paul said...

I totally forgot about Lance! The Donnie kiss... hahahahaha, what a great story that is. Did you ever post the write up to your blog? You should.

Fun post. :D

paul said...

I forgot to comment on the picture of Basho... aww, so cute. (we'll just remember the good times, not his rotted teeth as he drooled on my bed with the contents of his mouth that he'd picked up outside juicing on my covers, nasty)

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. Paul, I would totally post that story, but I have no clue where it is. My guess is that it's in all my junk at home. I wish I had it, though. I haven't read it in years.

Sabrina said...

Seeing as I was there for ALL of this, it brought back some memories!!! Remember when you went on that date and I videotaped you leaving on it from my car?

Jenn said...

Lol, yes, I remember, Sabrina. I would love to see that videotape. Didn't you tape it from my room, too?

I think YOU should do this on your blog. You'd have a million pics since you went to every homecoming and prom known to man.

Christie said...

That was hilarious to read, and I don't even know you. There is something so fun about reading other's high school experiences. Thanks for playing!