Thursday, April 26, 2012

My rock wall

Yesterday Andrew and I celebrated our 9th anniversary. Crazy! We were actually able to go out on a date thanks to Andrew's kind grandparents who watched our kids. We went to a delicious Thai restaurant in American Fork where I tried to order something with as little calories as I could. It's hard going out and having no clue how many calories are in what. I just ordered mixed vegetables and tofu in soy sauce and had very little rice. I did have a little bit of dessert -- mango with sticky rice in coconut milk! YUM. No idea how many calories in that. So we'll see what the numbers are like for weigh-in tomorrow.

The day after Thanksgiving, we bought the Pass of All Passes for a really great deal. The pass lets you go to Trafalga and Seven Peaks for a year for "Free" (besides what you paid for the passes) as many times as you want. Anyway, we've only used it once since then. So we decided to go to the Trafalga in Lehi last night.

As soon as we walk in, I see a rock wall. Andrew got very excited, as he's been wanting to get me to climb one with him ever since we were married...NINE YEARS AGO. He even suggested we go somewhere like The Quarry (a rock climbing place) for our date last night. I suggested Trafalga instead (not knowing they have a rock wall...) Whenever he would suggest rock climbing, I've always managed to get out of it. My answer would always be, "No. I'm scared of heights. I'm scared of falling (even with the thing that makes it impossible to fall and get hurt). I don't have enough upper body strength." I was mostly just afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it. I wouldn't even be able to make it to the top, and I would be embarrassed. FEAR. FEAR. FEAR.

Well Andrew's eyes lit up when he saw that wall, and he once again tried to get me to do it. My answer, "Hmm..." which means no. But when he asked the second -- or third? -- time, I took a breath and said, "Okay. Let's do it." So we did. And get this -- it was FUN. I actually enjoyed it. I made it to the top and had a minor anxiety attack when I had to let go of the wall, but it was fine. When I got to the bottom I realized my arms felt like they were going to fall off! But maybe I burned off a few of the mango dessert calories. 

I should add that it was a pretty easy wall and even young children were able to climb it. But still, I was pretty happy that I tried something that makes me uncomfortable to think about and that I've been avoiding for years. Remember that Transforming post I wrote a couple years ago? This is the kind of thing I had in mind. 

After that we played mini golf and laser tag, and it was all really fun. I'm excited to use that pass a lot more! I'm also excited to try rock climbing again -- and maybe even on a harder wall. :)

1 comment:

llcall said...

Way to go, you! (And has it really been 9 years??)
I have always wanted to try one of those rock walls, but I fear the arms-like-jello feeling afterward and that potentially I wouldn't be able to get out of bed for weeks :)