Monday, February 18, 2008

Park Fun!







I wanted to go to the zoo or the aquarium or SOMETHING today, but Kate didn't take a nap until late, so we ended up just going to the old park we used to go to. There were a lot of ducks there (thought they flew south in winter??) and Kate was not scared of them at all. At one point, they all rushed out of the water at the same time and charged us (I was kind of scared, by the way). They probably thought we were going to feed them or something. Kate charged back at them, though, and would've jumped right in the pond after them if I hadn't caught the hood of her coat just in time. Andrew reminded me that he jumped in a river when he was two and almost drowned. His dad had to jump in after him and was barely able to grab his coat to save him. I just thought she would have some sort of hesitation about going in the water--I didn't think I'd have to grab her and then restrain her. I think she's got a lot of her dad in her.

She got a lot more exercise than usual and got really tuckered out. When we got home, she just laid on the floor and stared at the ceiling for a half an hour. It will be so fun when it gets warmer and she'll be able to run and run and get all her energy out! I just hope she doesn't jump in the river.

5 comments:

mistyp said...

Sounds fun, anyway! I love the pictures your camera takes!

Emily John said...

Ah ..ya meanie let her swim with the ducks.

Anonymous said...

So cute! We miss you at work, but I'm so happy for you to not be there! Great pics--as always. I can't believe how much she is growing up!

Anonymous said...

As I recall, it was in the spring runoff in 1983, so probably was around June, so before Andrew turned 2. All the rivers were swollen that year because it was the year of the floods. We were having a picnic by the American Fork River. Andrew just kind of fell backwards into the river (which was a good thing because he was face up), and he had his coat with hood on. His dad just reached out and grabbed him before he went downstream. It was all surreal and matter of fact. There was no panic, just a dad picking up his son out of the river by his hood. It wasn't until later that we realized the full impact of what had happened.

Love the picture of behind Kate looking at the ducks.

Jenn said...

Phew--good to know he didn't jump in! Maybe there's hope for Kate after all. :)