Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Food Storage Epiphany!

Food storage has been on my mind lately. We've been married almost five years now, and I just started thinking about food storage this month! With the economy struggling, the dollar tanking, and wheat prices soaring http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/business/13wheat.html--I've been very bothered (as I've mentioned before) that we haven't been more on top of storing food since we've been counseled for so long to have wheat, etc. stored. Plus, my parents got called to a service mission as directors of the bishop's storehouse in Omaha. It's just been on my mind!

Anyway, I don't know the first thing about food storage. For some reason, it has always felt like there would be a fuzzy haze around me when I'd hear people talking about it. It just seemed SO overwhelming to even think about, let alone begin. I really don't know why it has been such a hard concept for me. It was really when I was baby-sitting the other weekend, and I saw their food storage that it suddenly made sense to me. You don't just store a bunch of beans and wheat for 30 years, you eat it as you go! It was sort of a "duh" revelation for me. But one that I needed because I realized it isn't as hard as I thought!

I went to the cannery today for the first time in my life. I didn't realize that you can only purchase bulk items, unless you work one of their canning shifts--which I couldn't do since I had Kate. But I was able to get wheat. I can't believe how cheap it is. Four 25 pound bags for $25! Bread is selling for $3 a loaf now, just imagine how cheap it would be to make it (well, factor in the price of the grinder...but over time...)! Now, I have to find a good grinder (recommendations would be great). I'm really getting into this! I would love to start making my own bread--doesn't that sound fun? Hmm...does this make me officially "old"? I think so.

As I've been thinking about this stuff, I've been looking around online for more info. I found this site that I think is pretty good and will probably be even more helpful once I start using the wheat in recipes. It has lots of ideas on how to use food storage and other tips. Check it out http://simplylivingsmart.com/. You have to register (for free), but it's very helpful--especially if you're a beginner like me.

Macey's just had a big case lot sale last week. They said they have them every few months. They also have a permanent section for food storage. I went there last Saturday night and the place was PACKED. I had to go outside to wrestle a cart away from an old lady (j/k about the old lady). Tons and tons of people were loading up on food storage stuff. It was really cool! So many people--young and old--were spending their Saturday night getting prepared. Only in Utah, right? But still--very cool.

My family is WAY ahead of me on all this stuff, and I'm sure all of you are as well. I've just been so excited about it, thought I'd share a little!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you thinking about the future. Its so hard to think ahead when you have so much to do right now huh? my dad has a bunch of food storage that we've been carrying around for years! its so annoying cus it takes up a bunch of space, but I guess it will be needed some day.
-Crystal

Jenn said...

I didn't know your dad had food storage. That's great! :) It is hard to find room. We don't have very much at all right now and it's taking up a lot of the kitchen space.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! We don't have wheat yet (no space), but we have lots of canned goods and cereal (and candy). Three cases of Life cereal covered by a tablecloth makes a great nightstand! We wait for good sales and then go nuts. I'll put you on my list of people to tell about killer food deals!