Monday, March 10, 2008

Terrible Two's--Nine Months Early??

Kate has really been a fussy one lately. The only times she's been like this have been when she's teething, so I assume that's what it is this time, too...it's just that I don't see any teeth coming in yet. I really hope this isn't her next phase.

In addition to her all-around fussiness over the past week, she has stopped eating everything except for bread, fruit, and Graham crackers. I tried rolling a green bean up in a piece of bread to trick her. It fooled her the first time, and she let it pass (not without a glare, though). But when I tried to feed her again after that, she wouldn't let anything by without a thorough inspection first. She unrolled the bread, promptly tossed the green bean overboard, and shoved in the bread. She used to be a great eater--green beans, peas, broccoli, you name it--she loved it. I hope it's just a teething thing and her appetite will come back. Not sure how healthy she'll be if all she eats is bread and fruit. I don't want to get into the habit of fixing something else that we're not already eating. Anyone have ideas for a picky eater?

Poor thing. I do feel sorry for her--I think she must be in pain from her teeth. She's still a sweetheart, though. She'll be screaming bloody murder one minute, then she'll wrap both arms around me, lay her head on my shoulder, and give me a consoling pat. It's as if she's saying, "Don't worry, Mom. I'll be back to normal soon."

It will be a relief, though, to see those new pearly whites break through--then I can breathe easy!

4 comments:

Emily John said...

All kids go thru a food stage just keep offering the veggies and she eat them eventually. My kids for a long time would only eat fruit, now they eat all kinds of veggies. I hope she's just teething too, but it could be a stage.

Anonymous said...

Awww... she looks so sad in that picture. Hopefully it's just teething. As for the veggies, I have no idea. Mike has to hide my green beans in mashed potatoes.

ps- I love the rainbow pic.

pps- We'll have to get together soon!

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

If it's molars, unfortunately they seem to drag on FOREVER!! I know because Oliver is finally finishing his, I think after about 6 months of off and on cranky hurting. They take a while to finally break through, not like the other teeth. I guess they are pretty big. As for the eating, you aren't alone there either. Oliver stopped eating everything except what I would consider "treats" and bread. I was stressing out. Long story short, I cut out the bottle and he's been eating a little better, but everyday is different. If you want the gory details, email me! It can be stressful. But it seems to be typical.

mistyp said...

Yep, it can start nine months early and drag on forever! :) I think it should be called the terrible kid years. ;)