Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I guess I was due for an accident...

No, the above pic is not a picture of my accident. But I got your attention, right? :) Sorry.

It's been years since I've gotten into an accident where it was my fault. I don't know what happened. I looked both ways, started to turn right, and BAM! Somehow I turned right into a huge SUV! How did I miss that?! I still just don't get it. The lady was pretty nice, but overly freaked out (I thought). But she did have to swerve to miss from really hitting me...and that would be freaky (so glad she swerved!). My bumper got a little banged up and her hub cap was scratched pretty nicely; other than that, I didn't see anything. She thinks she heard a strange noise, but I'm not sure why that would be. She kept saying it was a brand new car and she couldn't believe it--so glad her kids weren't with her, etc. Kate was happily reading a book the whole time. Anyway, she wouldn't just take my insurance info--she had to call the police, and we had to wait there in the blazing heat until he arrived to tell us to just exchange information. 'Sigh.' My insurance will probably go up, but there was no major damage and no one was hurt--thank goodness. I don't know where my head was! Accidents (when it's my fault) just really make me feel pretty stupid.

Actually, for the record, this is only the second accident that was MY fault (unless I'm missing one, Dad...we're only counting hitting another person--not inanimate objects or animals...). The last one was in Omaha (probably when I was 19 or so) when I was pulling out of my driveway a bit recklessly and ran right into someone. Two in twelve years of driving isn't so bad, right?

5 comments:

Emily John said...

I'm sorry, that sucks!

Anonymous said...

Well you didn't have a very good day. Twice in two years is pretty good. I hope I don't get in one soon

llcall said...

so glad you're okay. accidents are scary!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was not so bad.

mistyp said...

That's one of my worst nightmares but thankfully hasn't happened to me, yet. Maybe I shouldn't have said that!