Monday, June 2, 2008

Whose little boy is that?

(This is not what she was wearing--she was wearing brighter pink and tights).

Yesterday in nursery, Kate was sitting quietly reading a book when the new counselor over nursery came in to visit. We now only have two kids in our nursery including Kate. Anyway, the new counselor looked at Kate and asked, "Whose little boy is that?" I couldn't believe it! I can understand when we're at the grocery store and she's wearing all blue--fine. But she was decked out in a pink shirt and skirt, and tights for heaven's sakes! I'm pretty sure I've had far more people tell me what a cute boy I have than what a cute girl she is. Is it just because I don't put ribbons in her hair? Surely people can absorb clues other than hair ties, right?
UPDATE: Just got back from the park with Kate. Once again she was dressed head to toe in pink. A man with a little girl told the girl to watch out for "the little guy" and to just "go around him." It's hopeless.

12 comments:

Emily John said...

Nope, unless they have long hair or bows, people are clueless. When I let Logan's hair grow out he always get called a girl. People are pretty dumb about this stuff.

Anonymous said...

That's crazy! People don't get it. I am always super careful not to make that sort of mistake. If there is any sort of doubt I will make sure my comment has no gender reference. But honestly, who is going to dress a boy in pink!! I have gotten the same thing with Eliza. It has probably even happened when she has a bow in her hair. People just don't even look!

llcall said...

goodness gracious...she looks feminine to me!

oppfamily said...

I sooo feel your pain. When Zoie was younger it happened a lot. Aidan too, he had some cute curls that I couldn't bear to cut and he was constantly called a girl. So at least it goes both ways. You may have to break down a buy a bunch of hair clips and stuff until her hair gets longer, but unfortunately that still doesn't guarantee people will pay attention. Sorry..

Christie said...

I think she looks beautiful - some people are just dumb. If I'm ever unsure I just don't say anything. My poor Bryn has been mistaken for a boy more than once too. Her poor hair just won't grow.

Anonymous said...

That is so weird. I always make sure I know gender too. You would really think pink totally gives it away.

Anonymous said...

That is so weird. I always make sure I know gender too. You would really think pink totally gives it away.

Rena said...

Well, she loooks darling to me and of course I get updates from your Mom about her. Can't wait to see her at the reunion. She looks quite tiny boned-is she? Very cute and love that smile!

Speaking of the reunion you need to give your cousin (my daughter) a little encouragement to be there...hint hint!

Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow. I cannot believe how much wieght you have lost since you started. You are doing awesome!

Emily John said...

Aaa Ha! So that's where the reunion pressure is coming from, MY MOM!! I don't think we are going to the reunion cause the $ for gas from Logan to Heber would kill us!!! We are very poor!

Jenn said...

No way, Em!! I was banking on you being there!! We are dirt poor, too, and our car will probably break down on the way--but we're going! You HAVE TO GO!! No pressure. :) But you have to.

Emily John said...

You live closer, by A LOT! I'm sure my mom will pressure me until I say yes, but we'll see.

Anonymous said...

We went to a stake picnic on Saturday and Eliza was wearing light green (with pink flowers and edging). Big mistake. It obviously still happens with pink, but wearing green is just asking for trouble.