Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A quarter doesn't buy what it used to...

I found this toy among Grandpa and Grandma's other toys this morning. In case you can't read it--it says "$0.25 cents a gallon" and "$1.25 for 5 gallons." Boy, can you imagine gas at that price? That would be so amazing!! The lowest I can remember gas being is $0.89 cents/gallon. Shows how old I am, huh? I paid $40 yesterday to fill up our car and am definitely feeling the pinch! I can't even imagine what it would be like to have an SUV or truck right now. A quarter definitely doesn't stretch as far these days. We got pretty excited when we saw a pop machine outside Days Market where you can still get Shasta pop for $0.25 cents! Andrew has to get one now every time we're over there, and he really doesn't even like pop.

So what about you guys? I'm curious--what's the lowest you can remember a gallon of gas costing?

P.S. I read an article recently that said oil would likely rise to $150/barrel by July 4th. Seems like just last month when everyone was freaking out about it reaching $100/barrel. It's really going up fast.

8 comments:

Emily John said...

We're up to 55$ to fill up our tank, ugh! It's time to buy a bike. I remember $.89 gas too, ahh that was the day.

Sabrina said...

$.87 - and my dad took all of our cars to fille up. He was so excited!!!

Ellen said...

I remember back in the day (do I sound old?) when it was 25 cents back in 69. That was before the last bad inflation period in the 70s. Then it went up to 75 cents, and we were aghst. It stayed in that range for a long time.

Ellen said...

Whoops, Aghast!!

NEricksenArt said...

I remember when it was $.19 a gallon. When we moved to Iowa City in 1972, it was outrageously high at $.28 a gallon.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Your gasoline post has prompted a lot of comments -- it has struck a chord! I filled up our minivan this morning and it cost 71 freaking dollars!?!! (choke, gasp!) I offered a short prayer of gratitude that we no longer own a suburban.

Anonymous said...

I remember 89 cents too. I don't even know how much it costs to fill up m tank. I'm always putting 10$s at a time