Monday, July 7, 2008

Things to Remember

Yesterday at church, a random lady told me I needed to write something about Kate in her baby book. I remembered that I haven't worked on her baby book in a long time...So. There are a couple of things I wanted to write on the blog so that I can remember to write in her baby book when I ever get to it.

Every week in Sacrament Meeting, Kate will "sing" along with the hymns. She will sit there and belt out "Star Spangled Banner" like you've never heard! She raises her voice and makes her "words" go along the tune of the song. Yesterday she did it for an entire song. She's really quite loud about it, and I worried that she was disturbing the older couple next to us, but the lady sitting next to Kate thought it was the cutest thing ever. I found this old video of when she was just 2 months old--she would do the same thing, but infant style. She would only make these types of noises when there was music, so we always thought she was trying to sing along. Now that she's older, though, she sometimes gets irritated at me when I sing to her. I know I don't have a glorious singing voice or anything, but she kind of acts like a teenager when I start singing. She'll yell and smack her head like she just can't even handle it. But whenever I sing "I Am a Child of God," she calms right down. She doesn't usually try to sing along, she just gets really still and stares at me. It is so sweet.
One more thing--
Every day at nap time and bed time, Kate lays down in the living room on a pillow with a blanket and has a bottle of milk. When she's done she stands up, walks over and hands her empty bottle to me. I then pick up her blanket and follow behind her as she patters into her room and stands by her crib. I pick her up, hug her, and put her in the crib with her blanket. I say "good night" and that's it. It's the easiest thing I've ever heard of! Even as I'm hugging her sometimes she'll lean way back towards the crib trying to get me to put her down. It's never been a struggle to get her to sleep (after the first few weeks) and I am so thankful for that!

5 comments:

Candis Ellis said...

Kate is so precious. That video was like a little angel sitting there! James also likes to 'sing' with the hymns...it is hilarious. It was good to see you this weekend! We need to hang out soon!

llcall said...

this old video is sooo cute. she has grown so much since i first met her (and obviously, since you first met her)!

Emily John said...

It so neat the effect I Am A Child of God has on almost all kids. I love that song. When I was up all night with Logan as a baby, I would sing it and he would stop screaming. Powerful stuff!

Anonymous said...

We loved watching the video and being serenaded by Andrew! She's so cute! It looks just like her (duh) just little!

Janisu said...

I was laughing at your description of Kate getting mad at you for singing, but not I Am a Child of God. ALL my kids have done that to me, and I'm pretty sure I can sing in tune. It just bugged them, I guess. The only one I could ever get all the way through was I Am a Child of God. Now that's power!