Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Pit and the Pendulum

Last night when Kate and I got home from dinner at Andrew's grandparents' cabin, I found Andrew sitting on his bed engrossed in an Edgar Allan Poe story. He hadn't gone with us to dinner because he'd been working on his computer program all day. The past few days when he takes a break--rather than turning on the TV or surfing the web, he has reached for Poe instead. We have a book of Poe's short stories and last night Andrew was on "The Pit and the Pendulum." Andrew was really into it, so I got Kate ready for bed while he read (sorry about the rhyme).

I was reminded of one of the first things that drew me to Andrew in the first place. On the first full day in the MTC, Andrew and I were paired up to "get to know you." He told me how he loved classic literature (he was even thinking of being an English major at that time) and had just finished reading Dracula with his grandmother (don't worry--he doesn't just read goth tales). I knew we would be friends at that point. I was impressed that a boy would read classic literature--I know it happens, but I surely had not dated or known any boys that read. One guy that I dated said the only book he'd ever made it all the way through was a Seinfeld comedy book. I knew we were doomed.

As Andrew returned to his program, he encouraged me to read the short story. I don't know what's been going on with me lately, but I have not been in the mood to read! The last book I read (about 6 months ago) was Animal Farm and 1984 just before that. I am currently half way through Brave New World. I start books and then let them go unread for months. It's been very unlike me, so I took his challenge.

Wow! I love classic literature. Poe tells a mighty fine horror story. I decided it would be fun for a Halloween tradition to read one Poe story or poem. Our kids can learn words like surcingle (that was one I had to look up last night). Anyway, if you haven't read this story--do! (Click here to read it online.) It's horrifying, but by far one of Poe's most hopeful stories. It was fun to discuss it with Andrew when I was done. We're not going to hook up our TV at our new apartment (Wymount), so I am going to start reading again. Maybe I should just read short stories for a while--so I can still do other things. Reading, for me, is far more consuming than watching TV. If I get really into a book there's no stopping me until I'm done! That means cleaning, feeding the family, etc. goes by the wayside... Maybe that is why I stopped reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edgar Allan Poe is a really good writer. I like scary books to. My favorite ever though is Harry Potter. I don't like to read any much any more, because I love it so much. It is impressive when a guy likes to read lol! You actually made me want to read.