Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hogle Zoo



Kate's loves to wedge herself in small places.

Yesterday, Kate and I made the trek up to Hogle Zoo in SLC. I've been wanting to take her there for a long time, but it hasn't worked out. And yesterday I was dropping off Andrew's film to be developed (in SLC), and had to wait there all day for it to get done, so I figured it was the perfect time to go to the zoo! I have to admit to being a zoo snob, though. I grew up in Omaha--with the world famous Henry Doorly Zoo. It has an entire indoor rain forest!

Kate wasn't as excited by all the animals as I thought she would be. She would point at them and occasionally make their sound, but otherwise she was more fascinated by the zoo playground and other children. I guess we could have just gone to the park!

Anyway, I thought the Hogle Zoo was OK, but all the buildings and animals were right next to each other. It did not take very long to go through the whole zoo! It was about 1:30pm when we finished up, and I'm thinking, "Oh no...what now?" I had to kill several more hours until five when I could pick up the film. I ended up driving around a lot, sleeping with Kate in an IKEA parking lot, and eventually went to my sister's in Riverton for a little while. On the way back to SLC we hit the big 200,000 mile marker! It wasn't very smart to try to take a picture of it on the highway, but I did it anyway. I knew Andrew wouldn't want to miss it. :)

Side note: It was totally worth it to spend all day in Salt Lake. The pictures Andrew got back were great! Some of his very best yet. Sadly, we will likely have to wait for him to graduate before we can afford to get more slides scanned. So it may be a long time before his blog is updated (with large format pics, anyway).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the picture of the odometer, even though taken at 70 MPH. My car hit that grand mark earlier this year and now 15,000 miles later, I have to send it to the Honda graveyard...so sad.