Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Please DO NOT Eat!! (Even in a famine--it's really probably not a good idea.)

When I went crazy with buying for food storage a couple months ago, I made a very grave mistake. The mistake is called La Choy. I bought a TON of these things. I had never had them before, but thought, "Hey, that looks pretty good and it's cheap. Sure it's meat in a can, but it couldn't be that bad." And I figured if we were starving, it would be good to have meat and veggies all in one easy meal--right? Well, they expire next year, so I thought I should pop one open and give it a whirl. I can't remember the exact flavor I had that night--maybe beef terikyaki? It really just tasted like salt and slime. Anyway, I had about two bites and could not eat more. I really tried hard, but I mostly just ate the rice that I had made to go with it. Andrew was gone at school, so he never got to experience it. I was really proud of myself for not puking.

I mean, I've eaten A LOT of crap (in Hong Kong), but this seriously rivaled chicken feet and cow tongue. DO NOT BUY. And if anyone out there likes this product, let me know. I will be duly shocked.

I had about 7-8 cans left, though...(what was I thinking stockpiling a product I'd never tried?) but thank goodness for Walmart. They gave me store credit for food--so I was able to get some real food.

7 comments:

llcall said...

i have tried this actually--and i pretty much agree. all i remember is that it was soooo salty!

Christie said...

Hmmm - don't know that I could ever be tempted by canned chinese food, but I appreciate the warning just in case I ever did consider it.

Anonymous said...

I think it is the monosodium glutamate that makes it so salty and unhealthy. When I go to Chinese restaurants I always request no MSG.

Jenn said...

I still have two cans left (I didn't see them when I took back the others--but I will, don't worry), and just ONE serving has 1110mg of salt! Yuck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. luckily I've never tried it. Speaking of Chinese food I just went and ate at Ocean Pearl, and I've got a bunch of MSG in me right now. It really is bad stuff.

Mary said...

I laughed so hard when I saw this post! There is a chinese restaurant in our town called "The Grand Cafe" of all things and it is always crowded. So one day we decided we should go see what the fuss was about. I ordered beef lo mein and it honestly looked like dinty moore beef stew poured over very un-chinese-y noodles, but it tasted even worse, if you can believe it. Matthew's dish looked a lot like your can. We could not eat it and we really can eat anything. I looked around and saw other people eating their food and I looked at the waitress to see if she seriously thought she was giving us something edible and I could picture in my mind some chinese guy in the kitchen laughing maniacally that Americans were actually eating what he was sending out.

Mary said...

Oh, wait. I forgot the funniest part. I have told a few people in town my story and they have said that that is their favorite place to eat?!!? People...