Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lower Calf Creek Falls Hike


I love this picture!

This picture of Crystal is a good one to show how huge the falls were. Beautiful.

This is Andrew's new portrait picture for his blog. :)

Long day!

These pics are from the last hike we took. It was 5 miles round trip. When I initially thought about going 2.5 miles with Kate to get to the waterfall, it didn't sound too bad. She'd already done great on 1 mile hikes. I thought she'd probably go for a while on her own, then I could carry her. No sweat. Andrew's mom, Ellen, offered to watch her while we went on the hike, but I wanted us all to be able to go. Looking back, though, I probably should have taken her offer. She tried to warn us.

The hike was much steeper in places and harder than the other hikes we had previously gone on with Kate. She started out tired because she hadn't napped yet, and within the first mile she had a GIGANTIC poopy diaper (which we did change and pack around with us--yuck). Anyway, luckily there were four of us to take turns carrying her--but it was still hard. She's a heavy baby! The sun was beating down on us, and of course Kate refuses to wear hats. We slathered her with sun screen, but her face was bright red from the heat--it was awful. She was miserable. A French guy even stopped us and said, "I'm sorry. I am French, but I have to say that it is not good for her to be out here. The sun is very hot." I already felt bad for dragging Kate along. Thanks, Frenchman.

We finally got there, though--and it was GORGEOUS. Way better than I had expected. Kate and I were sitting on a blanket while Andrew took a picture. Then came along a HUGE black crow. It came right up to us, so I took Kate and ran. I hate crows--freaky. When I came back, a card game and Kate's diaper wipes were gone! I looked everywhere--and nothing! The crow made off with them! Scary, huh?! I can just see the crow laughing it up with his crow buddies while sitting back playing our card game. Jerks.

Anyway, Andrew got a great shot there and Kate fell asleep on the hike back (not that that made it easier on us--but it was better for her). Of course, it was just after this long hike ordeal that our car broke down! That was a long day, but the hike was definitely worth it. And for the record, Kate didn't get burned on that hike.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow those are really awesome pictures. thats so funny Kates passed out in his arms. It was totally worth it though. That waterfall was amazing. I didn't even want to leave, that place had an awesome aura. I'm definately going to make the trip back there again some day.
-Crystal

Zack, Shannon and Oliver said...

calf creek is really beautiful. I loved it there! I can't believe how brave you are to take a baby camping!! I'm a total wimp when it comes to taking Oliver anywhere that there isn't going to be optimal sleeping situations. But you have inspired me, maybe he would sleep somewhere besides his crib! Anyway, you are brave and it looks like you had a lot of fun!

Christie said...

Ok - I'm totally stalking you from the BL4 blog. But I had to comment because I LOVE Lower Calf Creek Falls. Its one of the best things in southern Utah! And I also loved that you took your daughter. She may still be young, but its great to start them hiking young. We took my 2 girls (aged 2 and 3 at the time) to Delicate Arch last month. The loved it.

Anonymous said...

I've actually been there before! I remember the water being absolutely freezing.

It's fun to vacation vicariously through your pictures and blog!