Thursday, May 1, 2008

Slot Canyon Adventures For Our Five Year Anniversary!

The mouth of the canyon--seeing this totally freaked me out!
There he goes!




When Andrew's mom and sister came, they were nice enough to baby sit Kate while Andrew and I celebrated our fifth year anniversary on a date to a slot canyon. I've never been to a slot canyon, but Andrew had gone there the day before and said it was so amazing that I had to go back with him. He told me how it was kind of scary getting down in (it was about a 20 foot drop), but that it was SO worth it.

For anyone who doesn't know, I am very afraid of heights/falling. When he first told me about it, I thought--NO WAY. I knew it would be fun if I could get over my dang fear, and that I probably wouldn't regret it (unless I fell and broke something). So I decided to give it a whirl. It was definitely scary. Andrew went down ahead of me, and patiently guided me to foot and hand holds to climb down. I felt nervous still, but I wasn't scared with him right there to help me. He was very sweet and so excited when I made it down (getting back up was actually much harder for me). It really was a lot of fun, though, and I was very glad I went. It was definitely a highlight of the trip. Afterwards, we drove to a nearby town for pizza. It was great!

Andrew ended up spending three of the five camping days in the canyon because there were so many good photo opportunities. The ones above are just snap shots I took. Such a gorgeous place!

I have to say that his particular anniversary really made me grateful for Andrew. If I hadn't married him, I know I wouldn't be so adventuresome--going camping in the dead of winter and jumping down slot canyons. He has really taught me a lot--I love him!

4 comments:

Emily John said...

I HATE heights!! Your defintley more adventurous than me. My hubby had been trying to get me to go rock climbing for years. Yeah right..

Sabrina said...

Wow you are brave! The pictures are great!

Anonymous said...

It was awesome huh! I'm glad that Andrew married you. You are the best sister-in-law a girl could have. Plus Kate is a great bonus!
-Crystal

Jenn said...

Wow--thanks Crystal! You are awesome, too! :) Just think--some day there will be even more Kates running around.