Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Waiting for the light...in a windstorm.


Trying to take her mind off the wind. She actually has tons of fun outside--even if it is in a windstorm. She did like it less, though, as the storm progressed.
Andrew was really excited to go do some photography today because the weather was forecasting cloudy skies (and that is the best time for great lighting situations). He invited me and Kate to come along, so we all piled in and drove up a mountain in Spanish Fork. We soon realized that the clouds were not all that Andrew had hoped for. There was so much wind, that the sky was too hazy to see much of anything. When we first got there, we could sort of see Utah Lake and the surrounding mountains. Within a couple of hours, we couldn't see anything.

One of Andrew's favorite photographers (Michael Fatali), has field notes for each of his photos that says how long he "waited for the light." Some of them say he waited for like 15 days. We think it's hilarious--because this guy is so dramatic. It gives this image of him huddled in one spot staring at the clouds for 15 days waiting for the right second to snap the picture, when he was probably watching the weather channel from home. Anyway, Andrew has learned, though, that it's important to not give up on a location/shot--and WAIT for it. Almost as soon as we arrived tonight, I was a bit pessimistic, saying, "Are we really going to wait for the light in this?" He was hoping that the clouds would break (and maybe they did--but we couldn't even see the clouds behind the dust). Finally, he could see the hopelessness of the situation and we packed it in. Poor Kate got blown over more than once!

I have dirt all over me, and am feeling pretty nasty--my hair looks like a bird's nest. Time to hop in the shower!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That gut Michael Fatali has some really awesome pictures. I wish I knew where some of them were so I could go there myself. There are so many breathtaking places all over the earth, I want to see all of them. Thats cool he waits days to take pictures, but I guess its worth it once you see the pictures. Poor Kate in that picture, it looks like shes blowing away. Those are really funny. Thanks Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Crazy windstorm. We are getting it today.

Emily John said...

Spanish Fork Canyon is always windy, it's worse in stormy weather. Kate is so cute. I really need meet her. Oh and see you since it's been a while.

Jenn said...

Emily, you are planning on being at the reunion, right?? That will be great to hang out then.

Anonymous said...

You are one supportive wife to wait with your little one for an undetermined amount of time in such yucky weather!

It took me forever to figure out that last picture. I though it was some sort of desert vegetation that Andrew was standing against so that just his head showed. Silly me!

mistyp said...

Those are pretty funny pics! Glad it worked out better the second try! :)