Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All for a Treat

I don't know what I was thinking. Oh wait. It's coming back to me...I wanted a treat. A treat. Andrew and I had just undergone super stress with our car (story later), and I wanted to get outside. After all, I hadn't actually been outside for days--not for more than a few minutes to water the lawn and go to church.

I hadn't really thought it all through, though. The road to the gas station has been undergoing plastic surgery for MONTHS. I thought I had seen some paved sidewalks, so I figured it would be okay. Sure, there was a paved sidewalk--for a tiny portion of the way. The rest of it required careful maneuvering and a lot of bump enduring by Kate. I don't know how many times I had to lift the stroller up and down, up and down. All this for a treat? I asked myself. You don't even need a treat. (No one ever really needs a treat, though, right?) I figured I was working hard enough and sweating long enough, that I would burn off the treat calories anyway. So I pushed on. People called after me from wherever they were, "That doesn't look easy!" "Slow goin', eh?" "You look tired. Come sit and rest." (That last comment was by a creepy old man--I just smiled and kept moving.)

FINALLY, I made it to the edge of the road. I say edge because there was a two foot drop off at the end of the broken concrete path I had just taken. A deep crevice filled with muddy water and no hope of making it across. Surely, there must be a way, I encouraged myself. Kate was quiet, a bit too hot and lethargic to care what was happening. I checked traffic. It was 6pm and there was no end in sight on either side. It was over. So close and I had to turn around. I did manage to get a treat from a vending machine at the nearby laundromat. But after enduring so much to get to Walker's, it seemed a bit anticlimactic.

I didn't realize until we had made it safely home, that Kate had passed out. I was worried for a minute that she had actually passed out from all the violent bumping and shaking and heat, but she seemed ok. I have no idea how she could've fallen asleep through that mess.

'Sigh'. And all just for a treat.

2 comments:

mistyp said...

That's funny! I would maybe attempt something like that in Utah but not here in the Texas humidity! Hope you can get a good treat later. :)

Emily John said...

Ahhh...the construction in Utah. Don't ya love it? Jenn kids love bumpy rides. It always knocks my kids out cold. Just remember all the walking you did when pregnant? They were bumping all over the place. I understand the need for a treat when I had Logan we only had one car that Spence needed to get to work, I would put Jess in the stroller and Logan in the baby pack and walk 3 miles (it really was 3 miles) to the closest gas station and get a king sized baby ruth and a 44 oz diet coke. I would do this eveyday, mainly for a good diet coke fix!