Sunday, June 17, 2007

This Father's Day...

As I've mentioned previously, Andrew is out of town this weekend camping with his family (he won't be back until Tuesday). I was talking to my mom last night (it was her birthday) on the phone and she suggested that today as I went to church alone with Kate, that I would catch a glimpse of what it would be like to be a single mother. Very true. It started as soon as Kate woke up. I'm used to handing her to Andrew as I get ready. She was fussier than usual (trying to teach me a lesson, I'm sure) and it was truly a miracle I was able to look presentable enough to even go to church.

Once there, she was antsy sitting on my lap for so long and was very frustrated. We luckily made it through, though. I'm sure she was thinking, "Where's Dad?" Well, she had had it with 5 minutes to go on the clock in relief society. Close enough, though!

Anyway, I think I do take for granted sometimes that I have a wonderful husband and Kate has such a good father. He's not only eager hands to take her when I need help or if she's sick of me or just to spend time with her (though, that is very helpful, and without it I would likely go insane), he is so much more. Kate is blessed to have a dad that tries to emulate his Father in Heaven.

So this Father's Day, I am grateful for my great "Gungy" (that's his nickname--loosely based on the Chinese word for husband "louh gung"), my own dad, and my Heavenly Father, whose love humbles me.

5 comments:

Emily John said...

That is a beautiful picture. I would hate to be a single mom. It would be so hard. I have a huge respect for those going it on their own and even those that think the kids are all moms job and they just bring in the money. Aren't we lucky to have so great husbands?

mistyp said...

Love the picture! My mom wanted ones like that done with both my kids, however we don't have it with either. Glad you made it through church. Husbands are great!

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful for my husband. It was hard when the boys were small and he was in the bishopric of a BYU ward and I was still going to our home ward. I was so glad when he was released even though the calling was a blessing. I am glad I am not doing this mom thing all by myself.

Jenn said...

Erica, I don't know how you did it! That would be hard enough with one baby--can't imagine with two. I emailed Cami about getting together. Saturdays during the day would work best for me. Maybe we could grab lunch or something? When's best for you?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful father's day epitaph. He is a wonderful father, he is a wonderful person. I forgot to tell him "Happy Father's day" yesterday. When camping up in the mountains, I was completely disoriented and did not know what day it was. By the way, I came home last night from camping.