Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dr.'s Visit

Well, this picture sums up how Kate liked her doctor's appointment today. She mostly didn't like being laid down so many times. She cried with her shots, of course--but not as bad as I was expecting. After it was over, she seemed pretty happy. Amazing. The nurse admired how quiet her cry was and how she doesn't open her mouth when she cries, she keeps it closed (like in the picture); it's kind of a whimpering, groany cry. It's kind of hard to explain.

When we were still in the hospital after she was born, the nurse came in to give her the Hepatitis shot. I was really emotional after labor, so I decided to go the bathroom while she gave her the shot. I was afraid I'd start bawling and be really embarrassed. So while I was in the bathroom, I heard Kate let out a horrible scream, and so I cried accordingly. I got myself together, came out, and the nurse told me, "Well, she did great with the shot. But she sure doesn't like getting her diaper changed!" Ha. I felt pretty dumb.

Today, the doctor said that we won't try Kate on anything with milk until she's at least a year old because of the seriousness of her condition. Fine with me--better to be on the safe side, I think.

We also found out at the doctor that she is really tall and skinny with a sizeable head. We already knew that, though. She's now 28 inches (97th percentile), 15 and some pounds (49th percentile), with a 92nd percentile head. Way to go, baby!

2 comments:

Emily John said...

Oh my goodness I think she's built like the family. My kids are 25 % weight 50% height and 90% head. But there was a study done that kids with big head tend to be smarter than those with small ones. Plus they grow into them eventually. Jessi didn't figure out until she was 1 that if you cry with your mouth open people will respond quicker. I used to not even realize that she was crying until I saw her tears! Kate is a cutie!

mistyp said...

Aren't those "shot visits" good to get over!!!! I'm happy our next, 9 month well check is a no shot one! She's cute. Wish my kids cried quietly!!!!!!!!!! Mine have big heads...but I think it just means they're more stubborn...okay, maybe smarter works, too. :)